Writing Workshop: Bruce Watson
"Achieving an Authentic Voice in Artist Statements"
This event has been postponed to Spring 2021
Crossroads Art Centre (NW Entrance)
#222, 1235 26 Ave SE
Calgary, AB T2G 1R7 – MAP
ASA GALLERY HOURS
Wednesday to Saturday, 10:00AM – 4:00PM
Please note that this event has been postponed until further notice.
Bruce Watson is an artist who teaches writing at SAIT Polytechnic, and he knows the pain of writing an artist statement. Few artists enjoy the process, and fewer still do it well. In this discussion of artist statements, we’ll look at how to achieve an ‘authentic voice’ in your statements by
- Determining the real purpose of your statement
- Focusing on the relationship you have to your reader
- Using plain language to express the intention of your work
- Using playful language to enrich your statement and make it more interesting
- Aligning the tone and attitude of your statement with your work
- Aligning the tone and attitude of your statement with your own personality
We’ll look at examples of real artist statements that achieve an ‘authentic voice’ and several that do not, and by the time you turn to the chore of writing your own statements, you’ll have a few new tools to do it well.